lkj

08 September 2011

Wednesday In Progress

I thought it would be kinda fun to start a (semi) regular post about bits and bobs that I'm currently working on. I know a couple of people who read this are crafty sorts and I really enjoy reading about what they're working on - so I thought I'd start something pretty similar.

To kick it all off, I'm pretty excited about this new project that I have the potential to get involved in. It kind of all came about by accident, but basically my step-aunt has been knitting scarves and selling them at craft fairs and such for quite a while now, currently its just her but she's starting to sell faster than she can knit and could really do with an extra pair of hands - or needles! The scarves are beautiful, and the wool is seriously gorgeous. I want one in pretty much every colour I've seen her use, even though I already have like 10 million scarves. I'll have to double check what wool it is she uses, but its the strangest type of yarn I've ever used!


When I first saw it, I didn't actually associate it with the scarves that she'd been knitting. It looks kinda like really thick shoelaces, but its really, really soft. The scarves are knitted with just seven stitches per row, and casting on is a bit strange because you just put your needles through the holes in the wool until you have enough stitches.


Knitting is similarly odd, instead of wrapping the wool around the right hand needle, you use the right hand needle to 'pick up' a stitch by inserting the needle through one of the holes nearest the top of the yarn, about an inch away from where the last stitch was created. It was really slow to start off with while I was getting used to it but once I'd got the hang of it then it knitted up pretty quickly.


As you knit, the wool unravels and the scarf gets longer, I'm told that once you've finished it and its hung for a little while, the wool unravels completely so it forms complete ruffles. I can kinda see it happening with what I've knitted already - the scarf is wider and the ruffles looser at the bottom.


Note: I honestly did mean to post this on wednesday...but blogger wouldn't let me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...