lkj

13 October 2011

falling back in love

Getting my essay on. I love the fact that my desk is under my skylight.

So, on monday evening, a group of us went to a lecture held by the natural history society. It blew me away. The lecture was called 'The evolutionary strategies that shape ecosystems' which also happens to be the title of the book that the guest speaker has co-authored. The author is a hugely important British ecologist, who has done some really important work in his field. But that isn't really the point of this post.

His talk was incredibly interesting from an ecological point of view, but it was also incredibly inspiring for me as a student. Don't get me wrong, I love my degree. I love uni, I love being here and I love learning. But sometimes I do question myself, I wonder whether its all going to be worth it in the end. I read articles about graduate unemployment and it worries me. Everyone you speak to seems to know someone who has graduated and can't find work - myself included. I think sometimes as students we get so caught up in the details that we stop paying attention to the bigger picture - to our dreams, our goals, the reason we started doing this in the first place.

Listening to this professor last night made me stop questioning myself, it made me fall back IN love. With my plans for the future, with my subject and with what I want from my life.I think its a trap that we can all fall into, those of us who are lucky enough to be doing what we love - we grow complacent. We stop appreciating how incredibly fortunate we are, to be in this positon where we are able to actually act upon our dreams.

Every now and again, maybe we should pause. Think. Appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...