lkj

11 December 2011

Solitude




"I believe I'm loved when I'm completely by myself alone" - Savage Garden, Affirmation

Picasso once wrote that without great solitude no serious work is possible. Benjamin Franklin once said that the wisest man is he that takes wisdom from everyone. 

Solitude is an odd situation, there are those that crave it and there are those that hate it. In modern society it seems that solitude is scarce, badly thought of and misunderstood. We are constantly and instantly connected to other people. To friends. To family. To strangers. 

Sometimes this can be suffocating. At least, I can find it so. To clarify, no I'm not a people-hating antisocial nutjob (I think), but I do appreciate time alone, away from other people. I need to spend time with myself every now and again or I start to get cranky. Other people seem to really hate being alone, they say they hate feeling lonely. I don't understand this. In my opinion alone and lonely are worlds apart. 

Today I've spend pretty much the whole day in my room, which makes me feel a little guilty because R has been in all day. Today I have also been insanely productive and not felt stressed out for the first time in quite a while. What do you guys think about spending time alone? Good or not?

"Language...has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has crated the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone" - Paul Tillich



5 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel. Spending time alone is therapeutic for me. I'm not antisocial by any means, but sometimes, taking a day for myself is the best thing I can do. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I never understood those girls who always needed someone to hang around; I'm the total opposite. Found you via FTLOB! Following now =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spending time alone-I'm given to much more productivity when I'm by myself.Being alone and being lonely are worlds apart-you can feel lonely even in a crowd.Solitude,however,is voluntary and much cherished by me.Yep,I love me some me-time!
    The photo is so,so stunning it just breaks my heart,OMG!! Following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spending time alone when it's by own choice, but I hate spending time alone if it's because everyone else is busy. There's a big difference, right? :)

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!
    Amanda - you are definitely not the only one to feel this way!
    Sweta - so glad you liked the picture!
    Niinaa - I completely agree with you! Forced alone time is never fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...