lkj

24 January 2012

clarity



Lately this tiny little piece of the internet has been a bit confused, its lacking in definition. It needs some clarity. I've read a lot of posts recently that are explanations of why people blog, justifications of why they're stopping something or starting something. It made me think. Which is one of the things that I love about this little online community, there are so many amazing women that inspire me, show me a new way of doing something, offer another way of thinking about something - or just provide something to think about. Inspiration is why I read blogs.

My reason for blogging is similarly simple. I like to take pictures and I like to write. Sometimes I don't want to write so I post pictures. Sometimes I want to write about stuff so I just write about stuff. The problem is with definition, when people ask me what this blog is about I'm not really sure what to say. Its about photography, its about my life, its about my ambitions, its whatever I found on the internet that I liked. Sometimes its about nail varnish and superglue. I'm not sure it really fits in a 'category' and I'm starting to be ok with that.

I think when you first start blogging its really hard to be yourself, to try and find a unique voice because there are an awful lot of people out there writing about very similar things to you. Its an unfamiliar medium (at least it was for me) and there is always, always someone who's blog you like better than your own. They'll be funnier, have a better design than you, they'll post more regularly, they may even have 600 kids, run their own business, have an amazing sense of style and still have time to maintain an awesome blog.

Honestly, the first few of months I was blogging I was a little stat-obsessive. When I think about it now I wonder what in the world I was doing but, its true. I worried about whether people were reading what I was writing, I read other blogs that had tons of subscribers and thought to myself "I'm sure I can have a blog thats 'popular'. This is because I am sometimes an idiot. Now, I'm not really that bothered, I love each and every person who reads what I put out here & I appreciate every single comment that is left. But I'm not blogging to gain a following, that isn't really my purpose here. I don't want my blog to be the central focus of my life, I want it to be somewhere I keep track of my life. I'm writing for myself - and if somebody enjoys that, then thats awesome and I love that. But I won't change what I'm writing so that people will enjoy it. There's a huge difference in those two attitudes. I'm not criticising anyone who does blog for this purpose - it works for a lot of people and they get a lot out of it - but its not for me.

For me, the best part of this whole thing is meeting new people. I love that I have people who read what I have to say and come back, and that they take the time out of their day to leave a comment. I love that I've discovered some truly inspiration people who share their lives with the world. I feel like I've started to gain some friends in this little online world and I am extraordinarily thankful for that.








8 comments:

  1. I love this, and I'm so super glad that there is someone out there that things the same way as I do. Your approach is very healthy! Once I started to post everyday, because I thought this was what bloggers had to do, then my content became much less interesting. I also did it for the followers for a while, but then I realized I was starting to deviate from the reasons why I wanted to start a blog which was actually to get in touch with people that were interested in the same thing as I!

    I'm so glad I've found your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post!
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to get around to writing a post like this. When I try to explain to people why I bother with blogs they just don't get it, but I just LOVE the little community and how friendly and lovely everyone is. I also much prefer reading about REAL people rather than watching some fictitious TV show.
    Great blog post though, couldn't have said it better if I tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo. Lovely post too, just keep doing what's right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an awesome post Vic! I agree with you in everything you're saying (or writing is probably the right word). And by the way, that photo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for leaving such thoughtful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so great! I really felt the same way when I first started blogging. I constantly kept track of stats and was constantly trying to figure out why my blog wasn't "big." But now I don't do that. I occasionally look at my stats, but not in the same way I used to. I really blog now to keep myself inspired and creative. I use my blog to push myself to take more pictures and do more crafts and search out new inspiration because after I left college I feel like I totally stopped doing all those things and I hated it! Blogging is so great when you just let go and enjoy it:)

    Sorry for the lengthy reply! I think this is one of those topics that rarely gets talked about but most bloggers think about! and also, you're a great writer - I don't think I could put my thought into a post like that so well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...