lkj

22 January 2012

knitting on - w.i.p


One of the things on my list of 21 is to complete all the craft projects I've got on the go. I have a tendency to start something, then find something else to do and get sidetracked by that instead! So this year I'm going to work on getting all of the old stuff either finished, or if it turns out that it's not really working for me anymore then I'll abandon it. Hopefully everything will get finished! (fingers crossed!) 

Those of you who have been reading for a while may remember that I wrote about the patchwork blanket I was knitting. It all started with a bag of assorted, half started balls of yarn that my nan gave me. I hadn't knitted in a while and I wanted something relatively easy that I could use up all the odd bits and bobs with. I started off with the intention of making a small lap-blanket, but when I moved into my student house this year I decided it would actually be really nice to have a blanket that was big enough to use as a bed throw as well. So the small blanket kinda turned into a blanket the size of a double bed...

For a while I knitted squares like crazy, but then I got to a point where I wanted to stretch myself a bit and knit something a little bit more advanced than ??x?? garter stitch squares. The square knitting tailed off and the completed squares were consigned to a carrier bag under my bed. Tragic. Yesterday I got all the squares out, laid them out on my bed and worked out how many more I needed to knit. I think I need around 100 more but I'm stuck a little bit on colours. I had this image in my head of a completely random, multi-coloured blanket, but its ended up very blue & green. The pink and maroon squares still work but I've decided to pull out all the red and multicoloured squares and save them for something else. The colours have come out absolutely TERRIBLY on all of these pictures, its a lot more vibrant in real life, I promise!

Completely coincidently the colours match most of the other fabric in my room so that's a bonus! Although it isn't what I was aiming for, I think I actually prefer having a coordinated colour scheme rather than an assortment of random colours. I've also decided to knit up some bigger squares to add a bit of variation (and to save on sewing). I'm currently toying with the idea of a border, just to make the edges look really neat. I'm thinking maybe a narrow cable band in grey but I'm not 100% fixed on that yet. I'm aiming to have all the squares knitted up by the end of January, I've had a little play with different ways of attaching them and I think I'm going to stitch them all by hand, with mattress stitch because I want the joins to be as invisible as possible. Depending on the thickness I might even turn this into a quilt, we'll see what its like when its finished. 

2 comments:

  1. I love those knitted blocks! I want to make a blanket with squares eventually!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors you chose! I think blue, green, pink and maroon is going to look great :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...