lkj

15 February 2012

stick to the word & get your knit on

Some of you may remember this post, where I talked about the word that I wanted to manifest this year. I know its only February, but I already feel like this is going to be a really positive thing for me. Its something I can just hold in my mind and use as a mantra, a promise that I've made to myself.

Last week I got an email from KnitSoc, the university knitting society. I signed up in September when the term started, missed the first meeting and didn't really think of it again. If I'm being honest with myself, I didn't want to be the person that turned up at the 2nd/3rd/4th meeting or whatever.

So I got this email, I read the email, I then dismissed the email. And then I remembered my word. So I decided that I would just go for it, see how it turned out. I could always leave if I hated it. It was a little crazy, I even tried to talk myself into not going - because it was raining. But I went. (I realise the fact that I have conversations in my brain probably makes me sound like a crazy person, but, whatever.) I'm not even sure what I was so worried about, everyone else was there for the exact same reason as me - they wanted to get to know some people with similar interests. They didn't want to pounce on new people and eat them alive. Obviously. Sometimes my mind is a very strange place.

I guess the point of this post is that this is working. I do have the confidence to do this sort of thing, I just need to remind myself of that every now and again.

source

I've got a couple of projects on the needles at the moment, but I decided to take my shawl with me - I wanted something that was fairly easy to knit that didn't require too much concentration. Also, I'm so close to finishing it and I just want to get it done now! It was really nice to just sit and chat with people that share a love of knitting. So glad I went. 







4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, OK on Tuesday I got an email from my art society saying they had extra places for a bookbinding class on Sunday. Like everyone other email I'd received from them since September I was just going to dismiss it seeing as I had no one else to go with. But then I realised I was being pathetic and, in a slightly over dramatic thought, wasting my youth by not going. And I'd missed so many other awesome workshops before.

    Essentially the exact same situation, and that's why I had to laugh :P Glad to hear it went well! I'm slightly less scared about mine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So weird! Definitely don't worry about it - you'll be fine! And bookbinding sounds awesome - I'd really love to learn how to make my own notebooks and stuff

      Delete
  2. You wouldn't guess how many times I have almost used such a silly thing as the weather as an excuse to not go out and meet people. Then I usually feel the exact same way as you did! But the last years I have exposed myself to these kinds of situations, and it's just so much easier now. Wonder what that fear comes from in the first place?! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the more you do it the easier it gets, definitely! I don't really know, I wonder if it starts as self consciousness and all goes from there?
      Thanks - you too!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...