lkj

08 March 2012

frankly: blogging is so weird #IWD

I find myself thinking this constantly. Often when I'm writing emails to women that I consider to be friends, who offer support, inspiration and love when I need it. Women that I've never met, yet I can talk to freely. Many people would find this weird. They would warn me about stranger danger and the perils of the internet. They would question why on earth I decide to record parts of my life online, for the world to see.

And I understand where they're coming from. I find it so, so hard to explain the blogging thing to people who don't blog. Its like an exclusive club! You're either in and you get it, or you aren't and you don't! And when they think its weird, I understand that viewpoint as well. Of course, this is weird - how could it not be? But nobody ever said that weird meant bad. Different? Sure. But bad? I'm not convinced. We are living in an increasing connected and digital world and to me it kind of makes sense that the way we form and build friendships will change and begin to reflect that. People run businesses from opposite sides of the planet - why not have friendships too? 


"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis



Of course, I'm not arguing that our friendships should all be formed and maintained online, I don't think that would be healthy. My 'offline' friends are some of the best people on this earth, they're a gift and I'm extraordinarily thankful to have such a wonderful group around me. But I'm also thankful for my 'online' friends - I love getting to know people who are having such different experiences of life. Its a beautiful thing.


Its fascinating to me, to see how other people live their lives. Its inspirational to see people who choose, every day, to be happy and positive about the world. Its motivating to see people who choose to live their lives with purpose and make every second the best it can be. But its magical to find someone who lives hundreds of miles away, whom you'd never have a chance of meeting, and just click with them.


"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."
- Bernard Meltzer.
 

Today is International Womens Day. A day that started out as a protest, a demand for equality and respect has now become a celebration of just how much has changed, how much has been achieved. If I was more politically aware I would write about the specifics, but I'm not.  I'm aware that there's still room for improvement, of course there is, there always will be - but I don't believe that improvement is limited to women. Its everybody. I believe in equality, regardless of gender, race, religion or disability. 



That said, I felt like today was the perfect day to write a post about the world of blogging. All of the blogs that I follow are run by women - many of these feature heavily the men in their lives but for the most part my experience of the blogging world is a community of women. Beautiful, positive and inspirational women - here's to you.

xo

This is part of Frankly: a series of longer articles where I explore the way I think about things. If you have any suggestions, or there's anything you'd like to see my thoughts on then please let me know!

18 comments:

  1. love love love the idea for this series - I'm interested to read more. and I agree with everything you've said about making friends through blogging. Love the new blog colours too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie - I decided I'd had enough of winter colours!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post! I couldn't have said it better myself.... ahhhh makes me feel all warm inside :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, that means so much! I just felt it was the right day to share a bit of blogland love (:

      Delete
  3. I love this post. I agree with it all! I also think that quote about cracked good eggs is brill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my new favourite friendship quote! I think it probably sums up the reality of most friendships!

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful post Vic! And I agree in everything you're saying both about the blogging world and about equality! I'm a a firm believer in gender equality (who isn't?), but I'm most of all a firm believer in equality for everyone, just like you :)

    And, yes, people who don't blog can't understand. I get a bit tired of having to defend this hobby of mine from time to time. But hey, it's worth it.

    Have a wonderful and amazing weekend Vic! //Niina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niina, it can be such a hard hobby to explain!
      Have a fab weekend yourself!

      Delete
  5. Love that I came across your blog! I too am fascinated with the whole blog thingie...been doing it for over a year myself. Some days are completely uninspiring...but I somehow find something to comment on...'cause I know people are out there....waiting to read my thoughts.
    I'm already enjoying your point for view. Cheers so very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'll head over and check yours out! I find that blogging really helps me to see the wonderful moments in everyday life - and appreciate them!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this! And I so strongly agree. I have such difficulties with telling people that I blog in the first place, just because I'm a little afraid the will look at me like I'm :

    a) trying to become some kind of superstar..

    or

    b) am not fond enough of my real life friends...

    I enjoy it, though - exactly for the same reasons as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I really do think that you have to be a blogger to understand - or you have to know one pretty well!

      Delete
  7. I totally agree! I adore blogging, but whenever I try to explain it to people who don't know about blogging I feel like they look at me like I have two heads or something! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that look very very well!

      Delete
  8. Love this post! I couldn't agree more. Blogging is such an amazing way to connect with people I otherwise would never have met and YES there are so many inspirational people and stories out there in blog-land.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I left this super amazing and fantastic comment on here but my phone refused to publish it because it's jealous of our relationship. It went something like 'you're amazing, this post is amazing, so true, glad we're blog friends, blah blah blah, something something'. Point is, I love this post and can't wait to read more :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda don't like your phone right now, I hope thats not too much of a problem - its obviously just trying to get in the way. Thanks chick (:

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...