lkj

22 April 2012

Ireland: the journeys

Ireland was an absolute blast. It was exhausting and hard work, but I learnt SO much - it was 100% worth it. Sometimes its easy to get caught up in the academia of this degree and lose sight of the fact that everything I'm learning is happening all around me. That may sound a bit daft but its true. Getting out in the field and learning from my own experiences rather than from words on a page is just a million times better. I'm not going to go all heavy on the science here because I kept field notebooks for all of that, but I do want to write about everything else while its still fresh in my head. So be prepared for talk of the Emerald Isle for the next couple of posts!

My favourite part of going anywhere is the journey. I really like travelling. I love that feeling that you're on your way to something new, or on the way back from something special. We went by coach/ferry so I got to stare out the window the whole way at places that I've never seen before. I kept my camera handy, but taking photo's out of dirty windows isn't the easiest thing in the world! By the time we got out of Dublin it was starting to get dark, so all the pictures of Irish travel are from the way back.

These few are a mixture of North Wales, Ireland and the Irish Sea. I don't even mind the reflections of the coach in some of them, they remind me of double exposures, which I kinda love.


On a completely random and unrelated note, I cleaned our kitchen today because it was gross. I turned my back for literally 2 minutes, and R had managed to get actual reindeer crap all over the worktop because he was planting a christmas tree. I don't even know. You just can't make this stuff up.


5 comments:

  1. The photos are great, I'm so jealous of your trip! I'm glad you had fun though :) I love the side note concerning reindeer crap. Always a good way to finish a post! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! Seeing all your photo's makes me miss Ireland...I just visited for the first time over spring break. I instantly fell in love! Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels!!

    XO,
    Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ireland is so beautiful, I'm extremely jealous!
    my-own-treasurechest.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures, glad you had a lovely time! It's amazing that we have such beautiful places right on our doorstep... You definitely don't have to go on long plane journeys to have amazing holidays! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. how exciting! I've always wanted to visit Ireland!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...