lkj

31 May 2012

frankly: the inbetween bits

This print, and everything else in this Etsy shop are AMAZING.

Exam periods always feel so stale, a halfway point where I'm sort of done with one thing but not quite started on the next. This time around I've only had the one exam, and its almost been worse - because I've only had one thing to concentrate on. Less stressful for sure, but I'm still keyed up. I start to feel guilty if I'm doing anything that isn't revision, and exhausted if I spend all of my time revising for just one exam. Does anyone else find this - that exam time is just plain weird?

I like to be doing things, even if thats only going to lectures and doing assignments. When I don't feel like I'm doing anything it gets me down a little bit, I feel like I'm 'wasting' time. I start to question everything in my life, why I'm here, what I'm doing, where it'll get me.

Initially this always seems negative - I trust my own judgement and I have faith in my own decisions. So, why question them? Previously, I've always ended up trying to kick myself out of these funks rather than taking some time to just sit and think. Lately, I've been keeping this quote in mind:

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like - Lao Tzu


This weekend while I was home, I made sure to take some time off and just be. Its actually pretty fascinating to observe your own mind, to let thoughts come and go without really hanging onto them. I wrote lists of dreams, started making plans and had really long conversations with my mum about pretty much everything. (Hi mum!) And I feel a million times better for it, suddenly this doesn't feel so much a 'stale' period, but an in-between period. Breathing space. The time that life gives you to get things figured out, work out what you want in life and what you don't. Discard things that are no longer necessary - be they objects, plans or half started projects. Simplify and get back on track. I'm trying to keep my 'word' for 2012 in mind, and some of the stuff that I'm working on is scary. Big scary. I'm-completely-out-of-my-depth scary. Really good scary. I'm excited.

I'm starting the think that maybe these 'in-between' times are the most important times of all.

Now I'm curious, does anyone else get this? How do you deal with it?

This is part of Frankly: a series where I write about stuff that I think + don't really proofread. You can find other Frankly posts here






10 comments:

  1. Agreed. I've had to do so much of this lately, because prac's been quite overwhelming at times. Time alone is golden for self reflection and I think it makes you more self aware everyday you do it. Being happy with where you are will only make life better. The kind of thing you're describing is called 'mindfulness' look it up if you have a sec ;) it's part of ACT (acceptance and committment therapy) there's some good reading around it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These moments when thinking about your thought are the most blissful moments of my day seriously. Sometimes when I go to the university (30 mins with the bus) these thoughts are the best companion I could ever ask for!
    And after these thoughts you feel so relieved and happy and brand new. It's amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty amazing – it just goes to show how important it is to take a little bit of time for yourself every now and again!

      Delete
  3. I adore that print! I seriously need it in my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful? His whole shop is gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh! Yes! That print is truly amazing! I love the quote! I think we all need that on our wall as a reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And by the way (totally forgot); silver shampoo is amazing! It takes away a lot of the warm (yellow/orange) tones from blonde hair :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A. I need that print. I need it something bad.
    B. I understand, ohhhh do I understand.
    C. Good for you! Those times are the glittering ones that make life so special. And enjoyably. And splendid. School will be over eventually (you know I know how that goes!), so hold on and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely in this space right now. Trying to remind myself that this is the time when I grow the most, and when I make big decisions in a thoughtful way.

    Also - thank you for linking to this shop! The prints are pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they?! I kind of want most of them - haha! I share your frustration, I think I'm starting to move past it now, I hope you get there soon (:

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...