lkj

02 May 2012

frankly: why blog?

In a couple of weeks, this little blog is going to be a year old. Which, when I stop to think about it is completely crazy, it doesn't seem like that long ago! I always find it a bit hard to explain to people exactly why I keep a blog. Its a place for me to showcase my photography, but then its not. Its a journal of sorts, but then its not. Its very easy for me to decide what exactly this isn't,  but defining what exactly it is -  well thats more challenging.

In order to answer the question of why exactly this blog is here, it's probably necessary to start at the beginning...

I started reading blogs when I was in a bit of a funk, I was in my first year of Uni, living in student accommodation and I was incredibly miserable. Me and my flatmates had polar opposite opinions about a lot of things, mostly about the length of time it was acceptable to leave dishes for. It seems trivial, but I'm not the sort of person who can cope with stacks of unwashed, mouldy plates everywhere! During the week it was generally ok, I could leave first thing in the morning and not come back 'till last thing at night. I cooked at M's flat to avoid the hazard area that was my kitchen, and things were fine. The weekends however, were not fun. I couldn't really afford to go home every week so I turned into a bit of a hermit. I started to question what I was doing at university, what I was acheiving and what it would lead to. I started to feel like I was a bit weird for not wanting to get drunk every night, like I was wasting my time at university because I wasn't out every night.

I didn't see blogging as the candy-coated world that some people accuse it of being. I saw it as a community of people who chose to see the amazing things in their everyday lives and keep a record of them. I discovered the happiness project, zenhabits and Gala's blog. I started this as a way to keep my own record of the good stuff that was happening in my life. The smaller stuff, the moments that perhaps wouldn't have stuck in my mind unless I made an effort to hold on to them. I try not to write about the bad stuff, I learn from it and I'll carry those lessons with me - but when I look back I want to remember the tiny little details that make my life amazing, not the stuff that brought me down.  I'm a much happier person than I was a year ago. I'm not going to attribute it all to starting a blog, because that would be daft, but it has had an impact on my life.

This blog isn't a secret. Most of the people in my life know about it, even if they don't read it. There's nothing on here that I'm embarrased of and I don't see why its something I should keep hidden. Some people don't understand it, I think they think its a bit of a waste of time - but I don't see it that way. I find it weird that if I was a gamer then that wouldn't be weird. If I decided to spend hours of my life killing pixel-people, completing imaginary missons or winning non-existant competitions then people understand that.Writing about things I care about, documenting my life and forming very real relationships with real people? Obviously thats crazy.

I'm not sure how many people feel the same way about this, and I know that some people will probably think its a bit daft. Whatever. To be entirely honest, I don't think you can understand how special this community is unless you're involved in it. Its a digital world full of beautiful, encouragaing, nurturing people who genuinely care. They do. Its awesome. The friendships I've formed with other bloggers are very real. They're different to the friendships I have with my offline friends, but they don't mean any less to me. It makes me laugh a little bit when people say you can't make friends on the internet. Why not? People get married and start families after meeting on the internet!

So, I think what I'm trying to say here, is that I blog because I enjoy it. It provides an outlet for thoughts, memories and the stuff I produce with my camera. It lets me meet people I would never otherwise have met. It gives me something to do in the evenings that isn't mindlessly watching tv.
 I pretty much just really like it.



This is part of Frankly: a series where I write about stuff that I think. You can find other Frankly posts here

19 comments:

  1. Am glad you did another frankly post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wholeheartedly agree. I think you have just summed up why a lot of us blog. I find it a way of documenting, showing photographs and sometimes just cheering people and myself up. Congratulations and being nearly a year old, I am in a few months I might have a party :-) Sad and geeky, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little blog party would be awesome! It's the best way I've found of keeping track of everything - it doesn't matter how hard I try to keep a journal - it never happens!

      Delete
  3. Completely agree! Its a world away from the real world for. Something that gets me away from everyday life.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never really clicked that we both started blogging for similar reasons! I'm glad you've kept it up through easier times too, my blog seems to have been forgotten recently! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I never realised that either! How weird!

      Delete
  5. This is nice buddy :) you're so cute! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the exactly same opinion about my blog, many of my friends find it a total waste of time. They can't understand that all this writing, designing my blog's layout and communicating with people in a way I couldn't before, is something that makes me very happy! Anyway, we understand it, this feeling I mean, ask us Vic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post Vic! I feel exactly the same about blogging as you do :) Thanks for posting your feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your upcoming blogiversary! Yeahhh, a few of my friends poke fun at me for having my blog. But honestly, writing in my blog makes me happy, so why stop something that makes me happy?

    :)
    xx

    http://daydreamfrenzy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I must say WOW, your story is very similar to mine on how I started blogging and I totally agree and get everything you are saying. I had a similar experience at college and how I sort of discovered this amazing blogging community. I understand how people don't see why we blog but really only we do and how it is a place that means so much to us. I don't want to drag this comment on too long, but I must say you are not alone girl! Thanks for sharing!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  10. this post is absolutely wonderful. i find it a constant struggle to defend blogging to my family and friends, and i just have to accept that people might never fully understand it. wonderfully, wonderfully written and explained. I LOVE BLOGGING!!!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. agree agree. Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love your words here, and these are a lot of the same reasons why I stated blogging too. I just had to find an outlet for frustration (much because of the same reasons you describe- living in a rainy town, messy kitchens all the time, not making sense of my studies) and somewhere to start to nurture those good things in life - mostly through photography.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree and feel the same way! I started blogging... geeez probably 3 years ago? I had left my university and was feeling kind of lost and really sad and everything and blogging helped me to focus and search out the good in life instead of letting myself get stuck in all of the insanity going on in my life and I can say it definitely has had an impact on my life!

    You're a great writer - that's definitely something I struggle with but your blog is very easy to read, which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh this brings a little tear to my eye! You've just hit it spot on... and you are right some people just don't really get it, but the community is just the best part of blogging. Since starting blogging I've definitely noticed an improvement in my happiness - and yes as you said its daft to attribute all of that to blogging but it definitely is a big part of it! OHH *single tear* ok time to stop gushing... well done on a great post and your upcoming blogerversary :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said. Love this. You sure have a way with word my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I think that your blog is very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...