lkj

06 September 2012

lists & dates & budgets & states

Planning, planning, planning. This is what's going on in my head at the moment. Next year I'm embarking on a  huge adventure, its like nothing I've ever done before and its scary as hell - but its exciting. So, so exciting. I'm flying out to Costa Rica, on my own to join a conservation volunteering team at a remote research camp in the rainforest. Then I'm hopping over to California for a couple of weeks with no real plans at the moment. I know. Typing this seems completely crazy, and at times I wonder what the hell I'm doing - but my deposits paid up. This is happening. Its going to be awesome. I've already decided.

Everything's a little bit up in the air at the moment because I can't book flights yet, but I've got my route sorted and I know flight times for the smaller airport I have to fly to from San Jose. So stuff is happening, and its a good feeling. I've never planned anything like this on my own before and at times its getting a little overwhelming! I've made lists (and lists, and lists...) now, of absolutely everything I can think of, so now its just a case of crossing things off, one at a time until everything's done.

here

I can't wait to get stuck into living in the jungle, patrolling beaches for baby turtles, surveying monkey populations and learning to track big cats from the signs they leave behind. To be honest that probably means looking at a lot of cat crap, but in all fairness its jaguar & puma crap so its still pretty cool. I love that its going to be a research camp rather than just a conservation camp. I love that I'm going somewhere unlike anywhere I've ever been before. I love that I'm going on my own. I love that I'm going to California afterwards, because to be quite honest I've missed that place. I love that I have the opportunity to do something this amazing. I love that I have something to motivate me through this year at uni. I love that the next few pictures have been taken by people who've done the exact same thing and I really can't wait to experience it for myself.


all here
Periodically the blog will probably turn into a travel planner, but whatever! Have any of you done anything like this before? Got any advice for me? I'd love to hear your stories/advice!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like such a great opportunity! Where I used to live we had a really large Green Turtle hatching zone at one particular beach. I was never involved in it personally but got to see a few hatchings :)

    xo Emilie @ Hungry Delights

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beyond jealous of you right now. But so excited for you at the same time, you're going to have such an amazing time!
    My advice: don't forget your passport and make sure you're travelling to the correct airport. Obvious, I know, but I have made both those mistakes so many times it's stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!!!!! I actual considered doing that. My husband and I both would like to go down there and volunteer. I will look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you for going ahead with this! I think it will be the most amazing experience of your life and I love that you're brave enough to do this all alone, go you!

    Can't wait to see the pictures and learn about the places you travel to. Team Vic, team Vic! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are one brave girl with a huge heart! i've got no stories or advice cause i've truly never done anything like that, but I'm so pumped to hear all about it! good luck and i cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I'm sure you will have a great time and will be extremely proud of yourself for going through with something like this! I'd love to one day do something similar myself, can't wait to hear all about it!

    xx, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is truly an amazing plan you have! Seriously, this is definitely not only a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity buy also a chance to make an impact and really help make a difference in the world. I'm proud of you for taking the plunge and deciding to do this, and I'm sure you will have no regrets whatsoever about it. I can't wait to read more about your plans and eventually see photos of the beautiful sights and creatures you encounter in your travels. I wish you the best of luck in all aspects of your planning :)

    -Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually in Chile right now, studying language (nowhere near as cool as what you are going to be doing!) and it is by far the best decision I have ever made. I, too, felt completely insane when I decided to go, but it has been so worthwhile so far. The reality of it didn't sink in until after I stepped out of the airport in Santiago, and the smell after rain was so different from the air in the States. It was wonderful.

    It will be an amazing adventure for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...