lkj

30 January 2013

Goals re-visited: January

Journal

This year I decided to blog about my monthly goals in an effort to hold myself a little bit more accountable and to encourage myself to stick to them. I think its also really important to review personal goals regularly - it keeps you on track and gives you the chance to see what's working and what isn't, re-prioritise and re-focus. So, here goes....

In January I chose to:

1. Be more single minded - I don't think this is ever something that can be crossed off a list - its far too subjective. Sometimes I sit down to do something and end up thinking of a million other things I need to get done. This usually means I start a few of them, get distracted by something else and wind up getting next to nothing done. I'm sure this is a common problem, right? I found that keeping a notebook next to me when I was trying to work was really helpful for keeping my mind on track - I just made a note of things as they came into my head and carried on with what I was doing. That way I wasn't going to forget anything but I didn't have to stop what I was doing to sort it out. I also stopped trying to multi-task. Maybe some people can multi-task, but I find that I get things done a lot quicker if I just do one thing at a time. Some little things I found that helped with focus:

  • Only having one tab at a time open when I'm browsing the internet (I'm a tab fiend... 50 is not unusual for me...)
  • Keeping my desk clear of everything but what I'm working on at the time 
  • Writing a list the night before of things I need to get done the next day 

2. Work out 3 times a week - Hahaha. No. The first couple of weeks of January I was getting out running, and I was feeling so good for doing it. Then I came back to Uni & the combination of revision and snow made exercising less of a priority. BUT I've walked to and from Uni every day this week so although I haven't been actively excercising I have been active. Kind of completed.

3. Make time for the things I love - Usually I'm terrible when I'm revising. I get super-stressed, grumpy and am generally not a happy bunny. This year I decided on a cut off point (8pm) and regardless of how much I'd done that day I stopped and did something else. I blogged, read, watched tv, browsed Flickr, knitted, sorted my room. It was time off that my brain desperately needed and I felt far less stressed for it. I'm planning on (trying) to maintain this for the rest of the semester because I work far more productively when I give myself time to be creative and unwind a bit.

4. Make lunch rather than buying it - SUCH a success. I had to buy lunch once, but as I wasn't expecting to be out for very long I'm not really counting it. In fact, I'm kind of glad I had to buy lunch out because otherwise I would have missed the MASSIVE mistake in my dissertation. Which obviously would have been bad. When I take my own lunch I tend to eat a lot healthier & it makes such a difference to how much money I have left over at the end of the week!

5. To keep journalling - I've tried to keep journals a million times and never quite succeeded. I haven't written every day and I don't always write much, but I have kept it up. I love having this blog as a record of my life, but there are some thoughts I just don't want to share on the internet! I think taking the pressure off to write every day has made it something I enjoy doing rather than a chore that needs to be done. I tend to write more in the mornings rather than last thing at night - all I want to do when I get into bed is sleep! Its a nice way to start the day though, and if I wake up in a bad mood for some reason I'm finding that getting it down on paper tends to make it disappear.

So, January was pretty successful!

Did you set goals for January? How did they go? Or are you a resolutions person - how are they going so far? 




15 comments:

  1. Congrats on making your own lunch so much! I get free lunch at work, but I've been hard at work trying to make dinner because it gets so expensive when we eat out each night!

    Lovely Llorys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this post! I feel like so many of us make ridiculous goals at the beginning of the month, and then NEVER mention them again. We push them under the rug. I may just have to do a post like this when I start blogging again (Hopefully the start of February I'll blog again).
    xo
    PS I keep meaning to email you, but school sucks right now. I'll email back eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Good job with your goals! I wish I had made some goals for this year, but I guess it's not too late for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just got my boyfriend onto making his own lunch, he saves about £70 a month now!! Keep at it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just got my boyfriend onto making his own lunch, he saves about £70 a month now!! Keep at it! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snap on the lunches! And that notebook idea sounds like a good'un.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great you're eating more home made meals! Keep up the goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. having monthly goals is such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on having January be pretty successful. I have a bucket list for 2013 that i'm slowly working through :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find exercising such a chore so understand why u topped this week lol x


    check out my cath kidston giveaway 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, I can really relate to a lot of these! I always bemoan my inability to just think about one thing at a time. But, it is a lovely excuse to have plenty of notebooks to hand. I'm impressed by your journaling! Writing online has curtailed mine a lot (after all, I need to make time for the other things I love!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breaking your goals down monthly is a really good idea, might give it a try! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you've made wonderful progress! Way to go on keeping up with goals. We all have ebbs and flows with things, so don't get too hard on yourself. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you've made wonderful progress! Way to go on keeping up with goals. We all have ebbs and flows with things, so don't get too hard on yourself. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiii, been reading your blog this evening and really enjoying your posts. I am also doing monthly, rather than yearly, goals over on my blog! It seems healthy to reassess how I am doing things on a monthly basis :) good work with your progress :) good luck with your February ones too! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...