lkj

18 February 2013

Watching the sun go down.


Its probably not a secret that I really love watching the sun go down (and come up). I think 90% of my Instagram feed is of the sky...oops! Lately we've been having some stunning sunsets around here & I decided that it was the perfect opportunity to try out time-lapse photography. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, time-lapse photography is when you take a bunch of images taken at regular (or semi-regular) intervals and stitch them together into a video so you get the appearance of time being 'sped up'.

I spent some time Sunday afternoon googling how best to approach it, but a lot of the websites talked about special software & camera kit - which I didn't have. So I figured that it couldn't be TOO difficult to figure out & I packed my camera up and headed out to the park. I set my tripod up overlooking the valley about an hour before the sun was due to set. I always use this site to figure out sunrise/sunset times & golden hour, its dead easy to use and I find it really handy so I don't miss the best light. I knew that I wanted to try and get the final video to be as 'smooth' as possible so I started shooting every 5 seconds & dropped down to every 7 when it looked like I might run out of space! I used my remote shutter so I could move around a bit, and also to avoid moving the camera. If you look carefully you'll notice I have a couple of nice shots of my hand where I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing... I shot in RAW but if I do it again I'll probably just shoot  medium-quality JPEG so I can fit more pictures on my memory card.

It was the perfect evening to try this. The sunset was gorgeous and it wasn't (too) cold standing around for an hour and 3/4. I got a few funny looks, but what the hey?! I tried a couple of the freeware programmes to stitch everything together, but in the end I just gave up and used Lightroom. I'm so pleased with how it turned out - I'm pretty excited to try it out again with a few different subjects! R took a couple of shots while we were out - it was magic to be out for the entire sunset. Crazy how it happens every single day and we hardly ever stop to notice how beautiful it can be.


Both pictures courtesy of Rich

Have you ever tried time-lapse photography? I'd love to see if you have!! I think I'm a bit obsessed now... 

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful video, I love it. I think there's something really calming about watching the sunset. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I have always wanted to try this with busy streets at night - have you ever tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful xx

    mac lipstick giveaway. 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, how beautiful is that?! I could just sit and watch that all day. I'd love to try this but am not sure how patient I'd be to sit there for that long!
    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous. and you're exactly right - we need to look up at the sky more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing! You have great patience to shoot that for nearly 2 hours. But who wouldn't want to watch that on an evening. Hope you had a flask of tea hehe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and I bet it was really enjoyable too. Fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment! you have such a beautiful blog and i am adoring your photography!!!! these sunset shots are GORGEOUS. looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Discovered your lovely blog today thanks to Freya on Nishaantishu! We share a love of sunsets and chocolate, so that's a good start! Looking forward to reading some more! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful, beautiful photographs and a lovely sunset.

    Moments like this make me believe there really is such a thing as a moment of pure bliss.
    hope you are well, take care :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think as bloggers we get quite used to the funny looks..! This is fab, I work 11-8 often so over winter I don't see sunrise (asleep) or sunset (in work). I especially like the plane trails going ahead.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely glorious! I'm speechless. I would love to have the patience to do time-lapse photography! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I told you but I LOVE THIS! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhh, the sunset :) one of my favourite things... when i first tried timelapse, i totally messed up on one of the settings so i think it looks a bit too choppy... but yours! so fluid and breathtaking. love every second. (including bon iver.. girl after my own heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! I have the tradition of going to see the dawn each new year, is a wonderful experience. Very nice article.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...