lkj

25 March 2013

Monday Motivation: What drives you?

Light from Above Pine and clouds. Swim-spot Fog-light Mountain road.

These images are all taken from Brett Plank's photostream on Flickr, which is absolutely breathtaking. Many of them are taken in Kings Canyon National Park, California - somewhere I'm planning on heading on my mini-roadtrip around California. I'm inexplicably drawn to those mountains, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to visit them.

Photography drives me. I can't explain it and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to, but the art of painting pictures with light will probably always be my greatest passion. Its what I daydream about, read about, study when I'm not 'studying', wake up in the middle of the night thinking about. Probably 90% of the pictures that I take don't end up on here, this blog is more for memory-keeping than anything else. I can pour emotions into a photography like I can into nothing else. I am driven by the need to create, and for a long time I feel like I've been fighting myself over that. Refusing to recognise it - or acknowledge it, because it means that being truly happy means taking a different road to the one I'd planned out for myself. Figuring out what drives you can be a frustrating, painful and confusing experience - full of second guessing and self-doubt. That said, I genuinely think its worth it, to just know.

Pictures like this? They make me want to be better, want to learn more, shoot more, develop my style into something that's unique.  They push me to make myself the best photographer that I can be. They teach me that there's always more to learn. That improvements can always be made, and that nothing, ever, is truly mastered.

What drives you? Do you know? 

8 comments:

  1. What a great post and such a great question. I am currently trying to figure out what drives me, because I recently found out I was driven by something I didn't really value.

    Great question. Thanks for making me think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for showing me these beautiful photographs.

    Like you photography drives me. And I am constantly always wanting to learn more, push myself and trust my instincts. It is hard. I often have a voice in the back of my head saying "I'm not good enough" or "stop trying to be something you're not" And it makes it hard. But I will persist.

    Because I love it so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a beautiful picture.

    I have just started dabbling in photography as a hobby and am really learning a lot about how to use my DSLR well. My boyfriend reads up on a lot of different techniques and has taken some beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautifully written post! I think working towards my dress boutique is what drives me. I stay up at night thinking about it! Keep working towards your dreams, girly :3
    xo
    PS I've been meaning to email you, I'm just a slacker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are so nice, I'm super glad you've found what drives you. I'm not really sure, perhaps just trying to be happy and funny. Maybe nothing. Maybe food. WHO KNOWS?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are amazing! I've had a look at Brett Plank's Flickr now (thanks to this) and they're incredible. Thank you.

    When it comes to what drives me - it's passion in others. I read something by Hadley Freeman and I'm inspired to write as eloquently as I can. If I hear a song by Van Morrison I'll be inspired by a man who has truly mastered his craft and it will make me want to master mine too.

    I'm also headed to California this summer so the photos have made me even more excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post so much! Your passion for photography definitely shines through not only in your words, but in your images too! I can't wait for you to really dive in and take this passion to the next level.

    I've been doing a lot of thinking about what drives me, what my desires are, and it's funny how I'm constantly being lead back to the same place - writing, communicating, reaching out to people, makes my heart sing a thousand tunes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel very similar about photography. I've just never put it into words before. The way you described it is perfect!!! I thought about taking a photography class just so I could take better photos. I love capturing moments in life and keeping them forever! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...