lkj

19 April 2013

Recent thoughts about blogging

Untitled
This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post. But isn't it gorgeous? 

Recently I haven't been blogging very much, and I've really missed it. I know a lot of the stuff I write on here is just silly little bits and pieces, but I really do love keeping a record of my life like this and it bugs me a little bit when I get out of the habit. Mainly I haven't been blogging because I've been spending so. much. time. at my computer already. I know people get bored of students 'whining' but I'm finding this semester so, so stressful and I seem to have a never-ending list of work to do. When I decide to call it a night the last thing I feel like doing is opening up blogger and writing yet more words. Its sort of paradoxical really because I end up even more stressed because I'm not doing the things that I usually do to chill out. It's a problem.

I've also been feeling a little bit disillusioned about the whole blogging community as of late, which all came to a bit of a head last Sunday during the #lbloggers chat. Annie was hosting and she had some brilliant topics, but somehow people ended up discussing blogging 'rules' and what you 'should' and 'shouldn't' do (in their opinion) if you wanted your blog to be read... Erm, what? Isn't the whole point of a lifestyle blog that its about your life, about you, a space that's yours. Some of the points being made were completely ridiculous & it just made me really, really sad. Especially comments along the lines of "I won't read a blog if I can't see pictures of someone's face". Sorry? Do we judge the merit of someone's writing on their physical appearance? I understand that a picture might make some people feel like they 'know' you a little bit better, but some people (myself included) just aren't comfortable with their mug being plastered all over their blogs. Does this mean what we write is any less interesting? That our opinions are any less valid? It shouldn't.

Another point that made me pretty mad was that of 'FAQ' pages. Come on guys, really? I can understand having an 'FAQ' page if you write about/do something (for a living, as a hobby etc) that people generally ask questions about, and I don't have a problem with that. A lot of FAQ pages just seem so contrived (to me anyway), I mean seriously, have that many people genuinely taken time out of their day to ask you how long you and your significant other have been together. Really? Or is it more of a 'things I think people should know about me because I think they're interesting' page. Which is fine, I actually kind of like that type of post - but don't make out that people ask you that frequently because they probably don't.

This wasn't really intended to turn into a rant about blogging, but obviously I needed to get this out here. Bess wrote a far more eloquent post on this, which I thoroughly recommend if you've ever thought this way about blogging (or just read her blog in general, you won't regret it).

13 comments:

  1. Your blog is one of my favorite reads. I actually did a Vlog not to long ago about how there are so many "rules" about blogging. I honestly think it's silly. Your blog should be about what YOU want to post and share. So I agree with you totally. If people don't like my posts they don't have to read them. It's my blog. I think people get to wrapped up in the hype of blogging and trying to be popular.

    I've actually felt like quitting lately because it's overwhelming to keep up with a blog sometimes. I plan to just cut back for now and see how I feel then. Keep in touch with my favorite bloggers and keep the blog how I want it. :) Thanks for sharing this. It's nice to know that their are some of us who feel this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my favourite xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awkward chat to be a part of!

    I find that culturally there are so many differences in the way people blog. For me personally, because there are SO many American bloggers, the rest of us just sort of follow the way they blog? Which is fine! It's just a bit harder.

    Barely anyone I know IRL blogs and so for me, I make up the "rules" as I go with not a whole lot to guide me.

    I appreciate hearing other people's views on blogging but unless I really agree with it or see the value to something, I'm unlikely to sway my mind.

    That being said... Your strong emphasis on memory keeping reminds me that really, this blog should just be for me and whoever happens to chance on it should get a kick out of it, but I'm not writing for them.

    Thank you AGAIN for a brilliant post. You rock socks and whatnot.

    P.S - Where is that photograph from?! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't get why people feel the need to create 'rules' about blogging, especially not for lifestyle blogs- as you said- ITS YOUR LIFE! So what if other people write their blogs in a certain way, doesn't that just sap the fun out of it and make it seem like a chore if we all just started doing what we 'should do' rather than what we want to?!
    Very well said :)
    Kaz at Sunshine Days x

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I think about the blogs I like to read, off the top of my head I can't remember if any of them have FAQs or how often they post photos of themselves. I think it's all about who you connect with at the end of the day and that's down to the individual and your preferences. Rules shmules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so well said. I really don't care about the "rules" of blogging. I post pictures of my face occasionally, when I'm feeling positive about the size of my nose, but really don't mind if others don't- and I don't think I've ever been asked ONE personal question on my blog, let alone enough to make up an FAQ page.
    Overall, you are brilliant. Wish more people were as sensible as you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post once again Vic. I haven't part of the #LBloggers chat for a while, always seems to be doing something else. I liked it at the beginning when there was a small group of us and it was a proper chat but now I get lost and feel like I am not doing it "right". Poo to that, I can do what I want haha.

    I too have been a bit busy and not blogged properly for a while. I'm not forcing a post. When things settle down I will get back on top of it as I like it and makes me feel good.

    I always enjoy reading yours, you write with thought about interesting topics and your photography...amazing!

    FAQs? seriously, I don't mind an about me to get a general gist about the blogger but I doubt anyone has asked such silly questions that often. Ok you've got me ranting now haha.

    I think the best thing to do is ignore silly people, they won't last as they are not blogging for the right reasons.

    B xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like all good things, along comes a group, that all look the same, think the same, and want everyone else to conform. I feel it's my blog, my life, my artwork. I can display it as I wish. Don't sweat people like that. You know what I look for in a blog? Someone who is real and original!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really try to stay out of those Twitter type of "Chats" Partly because my blog is "My" blog and I'll do it how I want! (Ha)!
    If I think about why I blog it only ever comes down to "Because I enjoy it" and it becomes much less enjoyable if you feel you have to do it a certain way to gain approval among the blogging community.
    It's supposed to be fun. :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like you stole the words right out of my mouth... I haven't been blogging (or emailing anyone, sorry!) lately either. School is just stressing me out. I complained about school last year (end of my senior year) and felt like a whiny brat, so this year I just stopped blogging when I started getting to stressed.

    I haven't been feeling too warm & fuzzy about the blogging community either. I've found a lot of neat new blogs lately, but everyone starts looking the same after a while because of all of these stupid rules people come up with. I don't have rules when I talk to my friends or my boyfriend, so why should their be rules when I post things online? I blog to meet other people and share my life, even if some parts of it are boring or crappy.
    I wouldn't say I WONT read a blog if I can't see someones face, but having at least one or two pictures of themselves up on their blog is nice just so you can get a sense of who they are and what their voice might sound like.

    I'm guilty of making up an FAQ page. I did it when I first started blogging and it kept getting so many views that I never took it down. I'm lame, i won't deny it! Ha :)

    I love reading posts like this. I feel like so many people feel this way, but nobody wants to say it for fear of losing readers. Blah, sometimes bloggers just suck! (Not you, though, you're pretty rad ;) )
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I've always thought the same about the FAQ pages. I mean if a blogger is someone like Keiko Lynn or Kaelah from Little Chief Honeybee, I can see how they might have gotten asked some of the same questions. But for someone like me especially, no one asks me those questions unless I have met them in person. And I have become really picky about what blogger events/link-ups I join because I realize that not everyone is nice and genuine, unfortunately, but that's just the way things are. -Jessica L

    ReplyDelete
  12. hear hear, I am so with you on this! I feel that with there being so many billions of blogs about a lot of people do get into that "sheep" mindset of thinking there are certain ways of doing things, and if only they do x and y, their blog will be as big as x's, which obviously isn't the point of blogging! Anyway before I ramble on, also just saying hi as I'm going to be introducing you in the Pin It Forward thing! So hello :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your style and I read you publications every time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...