lkj

16 February 2014

a creative challenge



Winter has this tendency to send my photography into hibernation. Its not a conscious decision, but somewhere around Christmas I usually notice I haven't picked up my camera in a while. I then make an effort for Christmas and tail off again until the days start getting a little longer. I blame it on so many different things - lack of light, the absence of leaves (seriously, I just don't think trees look the same when they're naked), the non-compatibility of gloves and a camera - but in reality these are all just excuses. I find summer photography easy, it comes naturally. I'm a summer girl, I love warm weather and blue skies, 4am when the sun is streaming through the windows and 10pm when the light is finally starting to fade. Bare feet, bare legs and the way the woods look when they're full of sunshine.

Staying inspired when I'm not particularly inspired is a little bit more difficult, but its good for me. I think its good for us to push ourselves creatively, to explore out of our comfort zone and lose that fear of producing 'bad' work while we learn new things. Its easy to stick with what you know and what you're good at, but what good does that really do us? To be honest, it doesn't, not at all. It encourages us to be lazy and stick with whats always worked rather than trying out different ways of approaching things.

I don't want to be lazy. I want to learn, and grow, and change. As an artist, as a photographer and as a person - I think its important. I've always shied away from photography challenges before, using the excuse that you can't 'force' these things. To an extent I still feel that way, but I also believe there is a big difference between forcing yourself to do something and challenging yourself to do something. So I'm challenging myself, to a picture - every single day until the official start of the summer. (That's June 21st in case you were wondering...). I'm also challenging myself to share a picture, every day, until the start of the summer. Taking a picture will be the easy part, but sharing it? Not so much. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm not comfortable with sharing things that I'm not proud of.

But sharing publicly will keep me accountable, and I think I need that. So I'll be posting on Instagram and tagging things #wintermojo (original, right?), if you want to join in then I'd love that & I'll be stalking keeping an eye on the tag just to see whats going on. I'm pretty excited about this.

3 comments:

  1. I also want to start a challenge like this! Not exactly the same, but kind of similar. Must think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great challenge :). I tend to take less in winter too for some reason xx

    D Is For...

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH a good idea.. I am totally with you on the perfectionist thing. Just need it to be a little bit brighter and I'd be happy. Looking forward to seeing your pics!

    pierrelecat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...