lkj

18 February 2014

I dare you to reach out

Corcovado
En route to Corcovado National Park. Its a tough hike but I had incredible company and we got each other through.


Although I don't believe we should ever place our emotional happiness entirely in the hands of other people, I think its fair to say that having amazing people in your life can completely change it. I also believe that the people around us shape us and influence us in a myriad of ways - some of which we don't really notice or understand. There a million different articles out there telling us how to get rid of 'toxic friendships' or gently ease 'the negative friend' out of our lives, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that tells you how to hang on to the good ones.

Some of the best advice I've ever been given is that people come into our lives for a reason, a season or to stay (the wise words of my mother, of course).  Friendship, like so many things in our lives can be transient and fleeting. Sometimes this is okay, and sometimes its not. Sometimes the circumstances are beyond our control, but sometimes they're not. Friendship requires effort on both sides, and I think we can all be a little bit guilty of forgetting that sometimes.  I recently finished reading 'The Flinch' and there were a couple of sentences in there that really resonated with me.

"Go through old text messages to rekindle dormant friendships. It can be awkward, but that's the point. You will make an impact by choosing to do what makes others nervous"

So I did. I spent this evening texting and emailing people I haven't spoken to in a while, people that I never really wanted to lose touch with but kind of did anyway. It was awkward. Of course it was. When you haven't spoken to someone in 9 months it feels a bit odd to just email them and say hi - but what do you really have to lose? When you compare it to what you could gain its a bit of a no-brainer.

So I dare you. I dare you to go through your Facebook friends, your email addresses, your phone or your address book - say hi to an old friend and see where it goes. Reach out. Make the effort. Let someone know that they matter to you.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! This is just what I need to hear / be reminded of.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...